Friday, April 11, 2008

Visiting friends

I love having good friends. The kind that you don't talk to every week, but when you do see them, you just fall into your routine, help yourself to the food in the fridge and put your feet up on the couch. Josee and Brian are those kind of friends.

The trip down was great. Max slept almost the entire time, I got to sing to some great music and the weather was spectacular. I hate the drive to Montreal, it's just so boring. When we arrived, Olivia was at daycare, so Jo and I had the chance to chat while Max enjoyed the freedom of a long hallway to skoot down. When Olivia came home she was super shy and wouldn't even look at me or Max. I figured it would just take a little time to get reacquainted.

It was so gorgeous out we decided we needed to leave the house. So we went shopping. Now wait, before you get up on your horse, we went outdoor shopping. I had my first experience at Quartier Dix-30. This place is the future of big box stores, and the ultimate suburban shopping experience. I would describe it as a village of stores, with hotel, spa and movie theater. Very pleasant on a beautiful Spring afternoon, but I can't imagine it being a very popular place in the middle of January. Supposedly they have open air concerts and free hot chocolate in the winter to encourage people to come. I enjoyed being able to window shop outside on a beautiful day, and also bought a pair of pants for work (that makes 2 now!) and a couple of books for Max. It was definitely very popular with the mommy crowd.

Anyway, back to the purpose of this post, my visit. Once Olivia had been around me for a little while, she warmed right up and then just wanted to be with me, play with me and talk to me. She would actually tell Josee that she didn't want her to talk to me anymore. Max just loved her and skooted his little butt off following her around and laughed every time she got near him. Maybe it's the hair.

We did lots of reading and hanging out. Max went down so quickly from skooting around so much, he couldn't even finish his bottle. Josee and I weren't much better, both barely being able to watch a little TV after the kids were down.


I wish I could say Max stayed asleep all night and I had a blissful night. Max woke up at about 10:00. The playpen that I brought was the small one, which is really too small for him. So I took him out and brought him to bed with me. I got up to try and fix the blind while Max squirmed back to sleep and then I heard it. Bad Parenting Moment No.142: Max fell out of bed. He cried for all of 30 seconds and then fell back to sleep. This freaked me out. Needless to say, I didn't get a great night sleep.

6:30 Max was awake and there was no turning back. I could hear that Jo and Olivia were up, so I decided to face the day. Max and Olivia played some more, I got to have a shower (yeah!) and a nice breakfast chatting with Jo. Max started to show he was really tired at 9:30, so I decided to pack it in and head home, thinking the bulk of the rush hour traffic was done. I tend to try and believe that there are moments during the day when the traffic is not bad in Montreal. We got stuck for about 20 minutes, which isn't really that bad. Max fell asleep before we hit the highway, only to wake up after we got through the traffic and still had a 2 hour drive ahead of us. Many Raffi songs and nearly running out of gas later, we made it home.

It was a great visit and I don't really know why I waited until 2 weeks before heading back to work to do it!

No comments: