Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Sugar Shack

This weekend we went to the Sugar Shack. Or to be correct la Cabane a sucre, since we were in Quebec. It was a real food mill one, where they herd you in like cattle and roll you out. The food came fast and furious and it was all good. Ham, eggs, sausages, baked beans, les oreilles de chris (which is basically deep fried pig fat, and my personal favorite), potatoes and pancakes. They didn't have any split pea and ham soup, which didn't upset me too much as I am not an enormous fan. And of course to finish it all off sugar tart and pudding au chaumeur (cake with melted maple butter over top is the easiest way to describe it).
Max ate his weight in ham, potatoes and beans. You can imagine the diapers I have changed today.

I think he was afraid Ron was going to steal some of his food.

There were a few Cabane a sucre virgins, Dan and Heather among them. As you can tell by their slight deer-caught-in-the-headlights look, they were a little overwhelmed at first but assured me by the end of the night that they enjoyed themselves. After we all had to undo the top button of our jeans, we headed out to pull some taffy. This is when they pour hot maple syrup over snow and you twirl it onto popsicle sticks. Hmmmm...

It is a tradition from my childhood and I am really glad to be living in an region of Canada that I can continue the tradition with my family. It was a great evening and now I am good until the sap starts to flow next year.

No comments: