Thursday, April 24, 2008

One Year Old

Dear Maxim,

Today you are one year old. It doesn't seem right. You just arrived in our lives. How can you be one already?

This past year has been one of the most challenging and rewarding of my life. The first few months were rough, especially the first few weeks when Daddy worked nights and feeding you was very difficult. Who would have guessed that you would become the big eater that you are today. The last few months have been so much fun as your personality has blossomed and you have become more mobile.

You are still a pretty laid back little guy, happy to play by yourself. You usually only cry when you are hungry or tired. You do scream now, but primarily when you are frustrated. You are completely mobile, but you have decided to take your own path and not crawl. You have perfected the bum skoot. It is one of the cutest things I have ever seen, and I love to watch you do laps around the living and kitchen with the biggest smile on your face, so proud of yourself.

Your favorite things to play with at the moment are the metal mixing bowls and magnets on the fridge. You also love to take books of the shelf and turn the pages. Often I watch you as you "read' them to yourself. I hope I have instilled in you my love of reading.

You are a chatter box. I laugh all day at your chatter, wishing I knew what you were saying. When we go out you tend to be more quiet, taking in the new environment. It takes a while for you to get comfortable, but once you do, you treat everyone with your chatter again. You can now say "Hi", "Oh-oh", "What's that?" and of course Daddy. One of your favorite books to read is My Dad. You can't wait to get to the last page and say "Daddy!", much to my chagrin.

You love to swim. You have had a love affair with water since you were born. Hopefully this love will stay with you for life. You love to eat. Hopefully your love of food will stay with you also (in a healthy way of course) and you don't stress me out and become a picky eater.

My love for you is impossible to put into words. My heart swells every time I see you, and aches every time I have to be away from you. I worry about being able to help you achieve all of your dreams and goals and try to remind myself that you are your own person and will chose your own path in life. I can only hope to be able to guide you along it.

You never cease to amaze me and I know you never will. You are my one year old boy, no longer a baby.

I love you jellybean.

Mommy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Everyone. Just wanted to wish Max a very happy birthday. Hope it was a good 1st birthday. Love Auntie Iris. xoxoxo