Monday, March 19, 2007

Breech

You read it right folks: Junior is breech. For anyone that has not been initiated to pregnancy lingo, that means Junior's butt is down, not his head, which is what we want. So what can we do? Well, we are attempting some of the unconventional techniques: me laying on an ironing board which is on an incline, with my head down and the blood gushing to it; me on my knees and my chest and face flat on the floor, so my butt is stuck up in the air and the blood gushes to my head; a cold pack on the top of my belly to try and give Junior a cold headache and make him turn; Marty talking to the bottom of my belly to try and get Junior to move towards it; a flash light on the bottom of my belly, "Move towards the light!", etc... Actually, the first two are highly recommended by both my midwife and chiropractor.

And then there are the more conventional techniques (well some people will still think that these are unconventional!). My chiropractor actually specializes in prenatal chiropractics and a technique call the Webber Technique. She helps loosen my hips and uterine muscles and rocks my belly back and forth and encourages Junior to move. She has said that there is lots of room for him right now, so we are hopeful. The work she is doing will also help what we are going to attempt on Thursday, which is a version.

A version is when a midwife or OB tries to turn the baby manually (yes, from the outside!). Sucess rates with OBs run about 50%. We are getting it done by one of Tanya's fellow midwives, Diane. Diane has been doing it for many years, and midwives tend to have a much better success rate than OBs. Yes it's going to hurt. I know a couple of friends that tried this with their OBs and it didn't work. But we figure there is no harm in trying. Sometimes they succeed and the baby just flips back up. If it doesn't work, and Junior does not flip on his own, we will be scheduled for a c-section, usually a couple of weeks before the due date, as they don't want you to go into labour. And it will be Junior's first official act of defiance!

We'll let you know how it goes on Thursday. We also have a couple of other posts to tell everyone about our first prenatal class and my Montreal baby shower. For those of you that are waiting for the belly shot... sorry, it ain't going to happen. Marty took it a couple of weeks ago and I burst into tears. So, there is no chance that it will get online. I will try and put some baby shower pictures up and maybe you can get a glimpse of it on those.

No comments: