Friday, July 13, 2007

The Plan

We have a plan. We saw the pediatrician yesterday and he got us on this track. Here is what we are going to try.

Max needs to be on the formula only diet for a week before we can really ascertain that it wasn't just a couple of fluke nights. That will bring us to next Tuesday. In the mean time I have to continue to pump to keep my milk production up. Then we can introduce breast milk again, by bottle. The pediatrician said that it might be Max on the breast that is the problem and not the breast milk itself. So Tuesday we give Max expressed breast milk and pray. If he takes it without the grunting and discomfort, then all will be good in the world. It would mean that I could continue pumping and feeding Max breast milk and wouldn't have to go on any weirdo diet. If we give Max the expressed breast milk and the grunting and discomfort returns, then we will know it's my diet. The diet is: no dairy, no wheat, no citrus fruit, no garlic, no nuts, no shell fish, no fun. I have to be on it for a couple of days, try giving Max the breast milk again, and if he doesn't grunt, then I can begin introducing one thing at a time until he grunts again. If he still grunts after me being on the diet, then we know it's something bigger than that and we will have to go back to formula and officially give up on breast milk.

I am obviously hoping for the first scenario, but am willing to go on the no fun diet for 6 months if it means Max will get all the good stuff of breast milk. Start praying or doing your sacrificial dances for me folks! We'll have an update when we get back from the cottage.

No comments: