Saturday, September 15, 2007

How dry I am

The end is drawing near; the well is starting to dry up. I am pumping less and less breast milk and I imagine that soon there will be nothing left to pump. The milk flow was pretty stable for the first month or so but has been gradually slowing down as the weeks went by. In the past few days though, the flow has dropped drastically. I was really hoping to go for at least 6 months and it looks like I might not get much past 5.

The guilt is still there, as well as the feelings of failure but I am working through them. Marty is really good at reminding me that I have given Max more breast milk then a lot of women have given their children and probably have endure more then many women would put up with. I think I will still have to go through a little period of mourning though. I wanted to much to actually nurse for the first year. A few tears will probably be shed and then I will move on.

Max is doing wonderful. I had him in a real laughing fit today at our friend's Krista and John's place. It's still the best noise in the world. Their two dogs were constantly covering him in slobbery licks, which Max thought was just the bees knees. I am so glad that we are bringing Max up amongst animals. He screams at the cats when they walk by and loves to watch the dogs play at the dog park every morning. I can't wait for him to be able to throw the ball for Chili. Maybe next summer...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it nice that you think of raising your son with animals. Our son/daughter will also be raised in a dog family. I was looking around the house the other day and said out loud that once the baby comes, I'll have to vacuum more often... I guess that's true. But people also say that children brought up with animals suffer from fewer allergies! That's a plus for not passing the broom every day! I can't wait for Blue to meet the new baby. I think that it'll take time to adjust having another person to share his mommy with, but once he and the baby bond, I'm sure it'll be great! I'm looking forward to walking them both, one on my back and one at the end of the leash. My two babies! I couldn't be happier.